Walls are, arguably, the largest decorator element in your home. Many of us, however, rarely venture beyond using them as background for our furniture and accessories. With a little courage and creativity, walls can be turned into a bold design statement in your home. And you don’t need the advice of a designer or the budget of a home-improvement show to look at your walls in a whole new light.
Here are some hot trends and ideas to consider if you’re thinking of redesigning your walls:
* More than ever, Americans are aware we’re all part of a global community and our pride in that fact can be seen in the trend toward using large-scale maps as wall art. Maps can reflect our heritage or interests and are appropriate in virtually any room of the house. Love Italian cuisine? Consider placing a map of Tuscany in your breakfast nook. Proud of your African heritage? Grace a family room wall with a floor-to-ceiling map of the continent. It’s easier than ever to find and install maps, too, thanks to wallpaper murals like those found at MuralsYourWay.com.
* Pictures may be worth a thousand words, but one hot trend turns words into graphic art to grace your walls. A simple phrase or quote dear to your heart can be turned into a graphic element in your room if you render it in decorative script and colors that enhance your overall theme. The quote not only makes a visually appealing focal point for the room, it tells visitors something about who you are as well.
* When you think about the importance of fabric in a room, are you just thinking furniture and window treatments? Walls can benefit from a fabric treatment as well. Fabric can be an exciting substitute for wallpaper. Or, it can add punch to decor as a piece of textile art, like a tapestry.
* Wall murals continue to be a favorite decorating tool of interior designers and homeowners alike, and it’s easy to see why. Few wall treatments make as definitive a statement as a mural, and thanks to modern technology wallpaper murals are easier than ever to install and maintain. They fit in virtually every room setting and you’ll find thousands of designs on Web sites like www.MuralsYourWay.com. For a few hundred dollars you can choose from an array of themes – travel, sports, nature and more – or have your own custom mural created from a favorite photograph.
* Wall color will always be important. Fortunately, some trends also show signs of design longevity, like using interesting neutrals on walls to create a pleasing, complementary background for your decor. Designers agree that gray is the new beige, and the most interesting color is one that mixes the tones gray and beige to create the ultimate blend of warm and cool for a neutral.
* Across our culture, the recession has Americans doing less with more. An emerging design trend incorporates a few big, bold pieces of wall decor in an otherwise minimalist setting to create maximum impact with a minimum number of pieces.
* Our penchant for all things “green” is showing up in designs that evoke the natural world and bring nature inside our homes. You can achieve this with a simple print of a forest, some artfully framed bamboo shoots or an eco-friendly art piece made from recycled glass bottles and reclaimed wood.